This morning on our Continuous Discussions (#c9d9) podcast, our panel talked about Human Factors in IT, and how these factors impact the way Dev and Ops create and operate software – including aspects like maintainability, quality, testing, security, release process and usability.
During the discussion, we touched on the “lens” or perspective individuals have, the work they perform and organization-based factors that set the context for human operations and influence our performance and system reliability.
- What is human factors as it relates to Human/IT safety?
- What are the key performance influencing factors affecting DevOps?
- What patterns can help us identify and mitigate negative factors?
Once you’ve watched the replay, please visit the links that our speakers shared during the program if you’d like to continue the learning!
- Human Factors and Ergonomics: Looking Back to Look Forward
- Wikipedia: Complex Systems
- Dave Snowden – Cynefin Model
- Safety-I and Safety-II: The Past and Future of Safety Management
- Don Norman: The Design of Everyday Things
- Netflix, Big Brother, and Binge-Watching
Featured Panelists:[su_panelist name=”Dominica DeGrandis” photo=”http://electric-cloud.com/wp-content/uploads/dominica-degrandis.jpg” bio=”Author: Making Work Visible. Director, Digital Transformation @Tasktop. Teacher of lean/kanban/flow to DevOps enthusiasts.” twitter=”dominicad” website_url=”http://ddegrandis.com/” website_linktext=”ddegrandis.com”][su_panelist name=”John Allspaw” photo=”http://electric-cloud.com/wp-content/uploads/John-Allspaw-c9d9-devops-podcast-does17.jpg” bio=”Former CTO, Etsy. Dad. Author. Guitarist. Student of sociotechnical systems, human factors, and cognitive systems engineering.” twitter=”allspaw”] [su_panelist name=”J. Paul Reed” photo=”http://electric-cloud.com/wp-content/uploads/j-paul-reed-c9d9-devops-podcast-1.jpg” bio=”Build & release engineering / DevOps / human factors; Managing Partner at Release Engineering Approaches: Simply ship. Every time. @ShipShowPodcast alum.” twitter=”jpaulreed” website_url=”https://medium.com/@jpaulreed” website_linktext=”medium.com/@jpaulreed”] [su_panelist name=”Jessica DeVita” photo=”http://electric-cloud.com/wp-content/uploads/101734_largeec0edfe9dcb982fd573680e011c650a6.png” bio=”Microsoft Sr. PM Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS), deeply interested in human factors, cognitive engineering, and user experience.” twitter=”ubergeekgirl”]
Watch the replay of the episode:
Continuous Discussions (#c9d9) podcasts air monthly (and sometimes more!)
Latest posts by Sam Fell (see all)
- Accelerate State Of DevOps Report: Q&A with Dr. Nicole Forsgren, DORA CEO - May 21, 2018
- Webinar recap: You Build It, You Secure It with John Willis and Anders Wallgren - May 10, 2018
- Human Factors (#86) - April 3, 2018